Our corporate culture embraces change, allowing us to go green while still serving our customers to the fullest.
At Siemens Transportation Group Inc., we are continuously working towards process improvements in order to achive an environmental benefit. This includes but is not limited to:
- Upgraded equipment with aerodynamic design and regular fleet maintenance resulting in improved fuel efficiency
- Ongoing Employee training on fuel-saving driving techniques
- Modern freight management technology allowing, in real time, to match freight loads with truck availability and locations
- Optimized routing and using an intermodal approach
In addition, we have implemented a tire life cycle and retreading process that allows the replacement of a used tire’s tread or sole. In comparisson to tire replacement, this process allows for an extension of a tire's life while achieving an overall substantial environmental benefit.
The process of the Siemens Tire Life Cycle is as follows:
1. New tires are sent for retreading and reused
2. First retread used on drive axles in tractors
3. Second, third and sometimes fourth retreads are used on trailer axles only
4. Casings are recycled into rubber products such as mats and fence posts
Siemens Transportation Group Inc. actively participates in various initiatives with the goal to offset and ultimately reduce our paper usage.
As a Company we take advantage of opportunities to reduce or eliminate printing, however, within the transportation industry many print jobs cannot be avoided and as a result, is a paper-heavy industry. Effective March 2018, Siemens has been a member of PrintReleaf, a program designed to offset a Company's paper consumption. Our paper consumption has resulted in the reforesting of 299 standard trees since joining the program (As of February 2020). The PrintReleaf offset process is as follows:
1. PrintReleaf measures the paper consumption of Siemens Transportation Group Inc.
2. Forest impact in relation to paper consumption is reported on a monthly basis
3. Siemens paper footprint is automatically reforested at planting sites
We have partnered with Cosmo Industries, a non-profit organization designed to enhance the quality of life for adults with intellectual disabilities, to recycle used paper. Recycling efforts aid in the conservation of natural resources, saves energy, reduces greenhouse gas emissions, and keeps landfill space free for other types of trash that can not be recycled.
We are committed to improving processes and upgrading technology in an effort to reduce our paper output. Some of our recent efforts toward reducing paper output include:
- System upgrades resulting in electronic invoicing for customers
- Upgraded Payroll System resulting in the elimination of paper copies of pay stubs
- Development of online customer portals (LTL and Express) allowing online access to: receive quotes, get shipment reports, request pickups, trace shipments, etc.